Across our company, we continue to grieve as the war and humanitarian crisis in Ukraine unfolds and we mourn for those who have been displaced or lost their lives. At Boston Scientific, we condemn acts of violence and discrimination and join those calling for peace. We are closely monitoring how we can best support our employees, customers, patients and humanitarian relief efforts and are taking the following actions:
- Prioritising the safety and well-being of our employees around the world. We are staying in close contact with employees in affected regions and are offering support through our employee assistance programmes. While we do not have direct employees in Ukraine, we do have employees in countries where Ukrainian refugees are relocating and in Russia.
- Donating $1M to Project HOPE via The United States Boston Scientific Foundation. This donation will provide Ukraine refugee support in Poland, where we have 240 Boston Scientific employees and where more than two million Ukrainians have sought refuge, and millions more are expected to relocate. Project HOPE is a leading provider of global relief on the ground in Poland. This donation will support efforts to secure a sustainable logistics corridor to supply medicines and medical supplies into Ukraine, to procure medical supplies for a neonatal hospital in Kyiv, and to establish warehouse space and resources in Poland to address strain on the Polish heathcare system.
- Coordinating product donations to support Ukraine relief efforts based on the Ukraine Health Ministry needs assessment. We will also continue to monitor and provide products where we can address critical supply needs as countries receiving refugees face increased strain on healthcare systems.
- Continuing our employee match programme to support humanitarian relief efforts. Boston Scientific is matching donations to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and Project Hope up to $500. To date, the company and employees in EMEA have contributed more than $88,000 to support these organisations.
Local Action in EMEA region
We are also working with partners on the ground in Ukraine to assess volunteer opportunities on an ongoing basis. Several employees in EMEA countries are already volunteering through local associations and initiatives.
- In Spain, our colleagues in Madrid organised a collection of essential items such as toiletries to send to the Ukrainian border. By joining efforts with local NGOs and associations, more than 20 boxes full of clothes, non-perishable food items and first aid kits were collected.
- In Poland, many of our employees are involved in local initiatives to support refugees, including help to create shelters and collect essential items.
- In Switzerland, colleagues have so far delivered three pallets of medical supplies, pillows, food, clothes, even toys, to the Ukrainian embassy in Berne.
At Boston Scientific, our mission is to transform lives through innovative medical solutions that improve the health of patients around the world. Consistent with our mission, we are supporting ongoing access to healthcare in the countries where we operate, in compliance with international sanctions.